|Beyond Our Solar System
After reading, studying, and discussing Chapter 23, you should
be able to:
- Discuss the principle of parallax and explain how it is used to
measure the distance to a star.
- List and describe the major intrinsic properties of stars.
- Describe the different types of nebulae.
- Describe the most plausible model for stellar evolution and list the
stages in the life cycle of a star.
- Describe the possible final states that a star may assume after it
consumes its nuclear fuel and collapses.
- List and describe the major types of galaxies.
- Describe the Big Bang theory of the origin of the universe.
Copyright © 1995-2004 by Prentice-Hall, Inc.
A Pearson Company Legal Notice